Sunday, August 26, 2012

Middle-Class Suburban Oppression: I want my omelet and I want it now

Some universities have atrocious meal plans. I'm pleased to say my school is not one of them. I think the food is delicious on the whole. However, I have a new grievance. One that I am not likely to recover from.

My school used to have an omelet station: you pick your ingredients and they make your eggs however you like. But what made it special was that it was open throughout the whole day. It was probably one of the most popular lines in the cafeteria. And what did they do? They cut the hours. Now you can only get them at breakfast time. SO STUPID!

I have an 8am PE class. Unless I want to empty my stomach contents, I try not to eat before. Then I have to shower and get dressed and go to class. By then it's lunch, and my omelet dreams are dashed.

You might think this is crazy (so call me maybe?) but these are delicious omelets. Now I'm forced to wait for the weekend to enjoy--to savor--my precious omelets. It just isn't fair. Maybe I wouldn't care so much if they hadn't basically replaced my all-day omelets with a pita bread line (I don't even know what that is really; is it like a wannabe sandwich? Put it with the sandwich line then!). This pita line thing isn't even a popular dining choice. I'm protesting: "Omelets All-Day, Omelets Always!"

Before I return to the other problems of "middle-class suburban oppression," here is my ode to omelets.

Oh, my special omelet.
I remember when we first met.
You used to be a recurring friend,
But now that's seen the end.
Mushrooms, peppers green, tomatoes, turkey,
Add some cheddar, you meant the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Tell me (just be nice).