Monday, January 21, 2013

Film Review: Winter Break 2/5



Les Miserables:

Alright, my mom really wanted to see this movie. All my friends really wanted to see this. I didn't really have a strong desire either way (please don't hate me). It was definitely a beautiful movie cinematically speaking. The cinematography was beautiful. Production design, costuming and makeup, cast, visual/special effects, everything was wonderful....It just didn't do it for me.

It was just sooo depressing. I know what you're thinking, "Becca, it's called Les Miserables....The Miserable Ones...." Yeah, yeah, I know. But two-and-a-half hours of depression is a lot. I lean more towards happy movies (rom-coms, comedies, Disney, etc.) or movies that are mostly happy with some sadness (basically your dramedies and cancer movies, and as I'm typing I realize how bad that sounds but think about it: A Walk to Remember, Griffin & Phoenix, and A Little Bit of Heaven are all super sweet/tender movies...even though some people died of cancer).

Also, all the singing involved was exhausting to watch. I know what you're thinking, "Becca, IT'S A MUSICAL!" Yeah, yeah, I know. And I'm totally down for a musical. I love me some Sound of Music and High School Musical (no judgements please) and ALL Disney animated features. I like having more dialogue interspersed with the songs and songs that are easy to sing along to (I love singing to movies; I'm not good at it, but I do it anyway). HOWEVER, I will note that I can like musicals of the Les Mis variety in which it seems like every single line of the film is sung. Example: RENT. I liked that musical movie adaptation, and they sang practically the whole time. Maybe I liked it more because it was modern. I don't know; it's all just preference.

Essentially, Les Mis was a beautifully done picture, it just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Tell me (just be nice).