Monday, January 21, 2013

Film Review: Winter Break 4/5



Parental Guidance: 

Oh my goodness. I love this movie. It was a really cute film. Though it contrasted two very different parenting styles, the kids stole the show. I've become a Bailee Madison fan since her appearance in Just Go With It, and after seeing this I will continue to look forward to seeing her growth as an actress as she gets older. The two young boys who play her brothers are also adorable: one has a stutter that will make you swoon and the other boy's behavior is as random as the fact that he's a ginger in a family of brunettes. Marisa Tomei was awesome as a neurotic mom worried about leaving her children with her parents. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler also brought their classic selves with them. 

All together, the cast was great and managed to give heartfelt performances. The film had this overarching theme of being accepted/needed/wanted by one's parents and one's children, but that theme boiled down to a heart-to-heart moment between Crystal and Tomei; it left an impression on me--and definitely my mom.


Basically, this a predictable Hollywood flick. It's not exactly groundbreaking, but I loved it just the same. For me, it was about the actors and all the laugh-out-loud moments throughout. I go to the movies to be entertained, and this did it for me. If you're looking for an artsy film that will blow your mind and kill off the main characters, go find one. Just don't disrespect this one.

 

1 comment:

What do you think? Tell me (just be nice).