Monday, January 21, 2013

Film Review: Winter Break 3/5



The Guilt Trip:

I thought this movie was just "okay." It was definitely a much slower paced film that didn't pick up until around two-thirds of the way through. Barbra Streisand accurately portrayed a certain kind of mom: the chattering, somewhat annoying mom. I found it really funny in the opening scene of the movie when she kept calling her son, Seth Rogen, and she asked him if he needed any underwear and that she'd get him some: MY MOM SO DOES THAT! "You can never have enough underwear," Mom always says. Needless to say that part amused me. To reiterate, Streisand's annoying behavior dragged out for a long time. Then the tension that builds from their road trip culminates in an extremely harsh argument between Streisand and Rogen. I felt a bit uncomfortable watching because of the intensity of the argument and the reality of some of Streisand's remarks. After they make up, things are fine. Definitely a few funny moments, but the "so-so" quality of the movie doesn't improve to "okay" until the very end.

Rogen's character brought his mom on this trip to secretly have her meet her long lost love since she's been single for decades. Eventually, she discovers his plan and they go to meet him. To prevent spoiling the end, I won't give specifics, but the end is a bit predictable...except for one detail. This detail at the end totally moved me; I started crying in the theater. Shut up! I'm a hopeless romantic: we can't help it. It was beautiful and beautifully connected the exposition with the resolution. It redeemed the movie to some degree, and that, my friends, is why it was "okay."


(***If you're just dying to know what this redeeming detail is, message me and I'll tell you.***)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, those annoying moms, you little shit. tee-hee.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Tell me (just be nice).