Monday, January 21, 2013

Film Review: Winter Break 5/5



Promised Land: 

Another good movie. I thought Matt Damon and John Krasinski gave great performances. Something I didn't expect was how much I enjoyed Frances McDormand's performance (she plays "Sue," Damon's colleague); she had this straight-faced humor that I just love. With the premise of the movie being about a natural gas company (represented by Damon and McDormand) attempting to buy out a small farming community with resistance from an environmentalist (Krasinski), I thought the movie was going to be mostly serious with a few jokes here and there. However, much to my surprise, I felt that the movie had a nice balance of humorous and serious tones (it was funny much of the time; not always funny "haha" but funny in terms of various situations). I left satisfied  and mind-blown after a surprise twist I don't think anyone saw coming...except maybe the people aware of the true story this film is based around, which I clearly was not. My jaw literally dropped.

1 comment:

What do you think? Tell me (just be nice).